Today is Veterans Day (U.S.) or Remembrance Day (Canada and Europe). Today is a day to remember all those who have served in the military both past and present. It is a day of great importance and it connects us with the past, present and the future. Today’s craft is inspired by Molly McIntire, an American Girl Historical doll who’s story takes place in 1944 when the world was at war for the second time.
Children in Molly’s time we encouraged to help with the war effort. School children were taught knitting and knit squares to be put together for blankets for the soldiers. Children made personal sacrifices as well. They donated their metal toys to be made into equipment for the war, some children collected books, puzzles and magazines to send to patients in veterans hospitals.
Today we will make two doll sized crafts to honor Veteran’s Day or Rememberence Day – Dog Tags and Poppy Pins.
Dog tags are worn by military personnel when they are in the field. They are usually made out of stainless steal or aluminum. For today’s craft we will make them out of cardboard and aluminum foil.
- -aluminum foil
- -a pencil
- – a paper clip
- -a safety pin (to poke a hole for the paper clip)
- -packing tape or clear scotch tape
- – a ribbon or ball type chain doll sized necklace at least 15 inches long
Steps for making doll-sized dog tags:
- Cut out two small pieces of rectangular cardboard ½ an inch wide by 1 ½ inches long
- Cover the cardboard with aluminum foil
- Use a pencil to write your dolls name on the foil, this gives it an engraved look
- Cover the entire rectangle tag you have made with clear packing tape or clear scotch tape
- Use the safety pin to make a hole in each tag
- Thread through your paper clip, then put the ribbon or ball chain through the paper clip.
- Tie off the ribbon and place the dog tags on your doll
And now onto the Rememberence Day craft.
In Canada (and parts of Europe) we celebrate Remembrance Day by showing our respect to our military forces by wearing red poppies on our coats. In school children collect money for our veterans by selling these poppies. I have made a poppy for my dolls out of felt.
To make a poppy for your doll you will need:
- red craft felt
- black craft felt
- craft glue
- a straight sewing pin
And to make it:
- Cut four small hearts out of felt
- Cut one round circle out of the black felt
- Glue the red hearts with the points together
- Glue the black circle into the center. Let dry
- Carefully put the sewing straight pin through the black center and attach it to your dolls clothing
Take time today to thank someone who has served in the military and be sure to stop by next Friday for more doll craft fun with Karen of Karen Mom of Three!