When I asked Zoe what she wanted to make for a doll costume this year, she replied with a tie-dyed mummy. Hmmmmm…..! We did it and are super pleased with how easy it was and how cute it is…and how pink it is too!
To start, you will need a tie-dyed pillowcase. We used Rit Dye (Fuchsia) to get ours the way we wanted it. We washed and dried it before we used it to create this spooky fun costume.
To get the long roll of fabric that you will need to wrap up your doll, here is what to do.
1. Cut the pillowcase into two inch strips, lengthwise.
2. Line the strips up. They will be twice as long as the pillowcase because of the fold.
3. Glue the ends together so you will end up with one long strip. I used Aleene’s Tacky Glue.
4. Save the two side pieces leftover. You will need them later.
5. Let the glue dry completely.
When the glue is dry, you can dress your doll. Start by tying her hair back then tie the beginning of your long fabric strip around her waist. From there, wrap around one leg at a time then around her torso.
Next, wrap around her arms and up to her head. Use a pin to attach the end to the back of her head. Then use one the leftover pillowcase sides to tie around her head and hide that pin.
Cut the last piece of pillowcase into two squared that will fit over her feed and two strips to tie them on.
If you have enough left over fabric, you can mummify her teddy bear too.
Happy Costume Making,