UPDATED WITH WINNER!! Congratulations Maddie! You won the McKenna movie set. Check your inbox for an email from me.
Our friends at Universal Studios Home Entertainment invited us to host a An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars movie pre-screening party. We had invited 8 girls but since we did the party on such short notice so one of my daughter’s best friends could make it, we ended up with 4 girls. The four girls really LOVE their dolls and two of them are gymnasts, too, so it was destined to be a great afternoon!
Each girl brought a doll and the girls headed to the playroom to watch the movie. Since its too hot for hot drinks, I made them all chocolate milk shakes with whipped cream and sprinkles just like McKenna’s Mom might have done in her coffee shop. They also had spiral sandwiches, veggies, and chips while watching the movie. After the movie they played trivia and had to buzz in by lifting their doll in to the air then headed to the kitchen table to get their bracelets and McKenna activity sheets.
All four girls LOVED the movie and when asked if they wanted to watch it again it was a resounding YES. I did a quick question and answer with the girls and got the following:
What was your favorite scene? The part where Toulane is sneaking around trying to figure out what McKenna was doing.
Was the gymnastics realistic? Yes.
Who was your favorite character? Two votes for Toulane, one for McKenna and one for Josie.
Could you relate to the characters and the challenges they faced? Definitely
- Sierra was kind of an afterthought in the movie – almost invisible
- The girls all wanted to know why McKenna was embarassed to have a tutor
- They liked how McKenna used a wheelchair too in the camping scene
- The lesson about keeping a balance was important
Now for the good part! You can win a copy of the movie for yourself!
WHAT WE ARE GIVING AWAY:
One (1) lucky winner will receive An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars on Bluray/DVD direct from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.
How To Enter
- Leave a comment below letting us know what about McKenna’s story appeals to you most.
- Get bonus entries by letting your friends know about our giveaway. Get one extra entry for each of the following, but come back and leave a second comment telling us where you shared it:
- Post about it on your own blog, in a forum, tweet about it or share it with your friends on Facebook.
- Follow us on Twitter (we are @DollDiaries) – please send us a tweet letting us know you are following us and introduce yourself, too.
- Like us on Facebook (we are DollDiaries) – again, feel free to leave us a note on Facebook saying hello and that you are entering the giveaway.
- Subscribe to our YouTube channels (DollDiaries)
- Leave your comment(s) no later than midnight July 3, 2012.
- Make sure your email address is right. We only use it to contact the winner and we will NEVER share it or publish it.
- You must be 13 or older to enter. If you are under 13, just ask your parent, grandparent, favorite aunt or uncle to enter for you!
- We will be using the “And the winner is” plugin to select one (1) winner at random.
Remember, An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars will be available on DVD/Bluray as of July 3, 2012 at Walmart and AmericanGirl.com. It will also be televised on NBC, July 14. Watch the trailer:
Disclosure: We were sent the movie to review along with a gift certificate to use for party supplies. All insights and opinions on the movie are our own.