Every house has them… you know those socks that go into to the laundry room with a matching friend but come out lonely because the other sock somehow got lost? Well, lonely socks can be a doll’s best friend. You can make all sorts of great things for dolls from a single lonely sock. For Day 20 of 100 Days of Doll Play, one of our readers, Lorie, is going to show us how to recycle a sock into a fun hat for the dolls and I have a list of more sock projects for you too!
Since I don’t own a sewing machine and I don’t know how to knit I decided to try and make a no-sew fleece hat from my fleece socks. The socks are the fuzzy kind you can find pretty much all year long at stores like Target, WalMart, Kmart, JC Penny, even some drug stores sell them – you may even have one in your laundry room or dresser drawer!
This is the first fuzzy fleece sock I made. All you need to make this hat is:
- American Girl Doll (or any other 18″ doll)
- pair of fuzzy fleece socks (wash first before you make the hat to get rid of little fuzzies)
- craft scissors
- small ponytail band
Step 1: With the heel of the sock at the back of the doll’s head, slip the sock over her head and cover the ears. As you can see I went to the back of the dolls hairline and at the eyebrows. This will allow for a proper fit.
Step 2: With the sock in place and on the doll’s head attach the ponytail band.
Step 3: Remove the hat from your doll’s head and with your craft scissors cut the top portion of the sock off. I started the cut about 1/4″ above the ponytail holder.
You now have a brand new hat for your doll!
As you can see the two hats I made are different. For the first hat I left about 2″ of the sock above the rubber band and then made slits down towards the rubber band. This gives more of a fun effect to the hat.
I also tied a long strip of sock around the rubber band since with this style you can see it. Good way to hide it if you want.
More sock clothing tutorials:
- Cutting instruction for making 10 different clothing items for dolls from socks
- How to make Boots and Socks for 18″ dolls from My Froggy Stuff
- How to make a no sew swim suit for dolls from My Froggy Stuff
- No sew top and skirt from a sock for dolls
- How to make a doll from an odd sock
- Make a no sew doll dress from a sock
- Make a no sew Barbie dress from a sock
There is no specific printable for today’s doll play day, however, you can always check out our doll printables category and print out some of your favorites.