This little doll purse is full of fun details and it’s all made possible by a gum package. Yep, the left over little box that held sticks of gum!
Add a purse strap and few decorations and the gum package is barely recognizable!
With a little velcro this purse isn’t just for show but can open up and hold a few essentials!
Let’s take a look at what you’ll need.
- gum pack (you can use any gum pack but Orbit opens like a purse)
- felt (you can use paper or craft foam)
- velcro (optional)
- craft glue or hot glue
- clear packaging tape (optional)
- jump rings (optional)
- acrylics jewels
Let’s talk gum packages. I tried out a few brands of gum to find the best “doll purse” qualities in the packaging. What I found was that Orbit was the best, hands down. It opens like a purse and surprisingly no other brand I tried does. That being said you could always decorate the outside of the package like a purse and just keep it shut and not worry about the way it opens up. Orbit may win because of it’s construction but it also wins because of the fun designs on the outside of the package. Fun colors, fun patterns, and small logos means only a few embellishments to transform it into an awesome doll purse!
Durability and a Fastener
If you want the purse to be more durable you can put a layer of clear packaging tape on the outside. I made several with and several without tape and the tape definitely gives it added strength. To start with the tape, I recommend covering the purse in two pieces of packaging tape 5 3/4” long. The tape will wrap from the front to the back of the gum package across the bottom. Don’t worry about covering the 2 narrow sides of the package because we will be covering that later with felt. Trim off any extra tape.
A fun option is to add a fastener to close the purse.
1. With the hook and loop sides of the velcro together, cut a 1/2” piece. Place glue on orbit emblem where the flap closes.
2. Place the cut piece of velcro on the glue and allow to dry or cool. Put a dab of glue on the top of the velcro facing up.
3. Press the flap onto the velcro and allow it to dry or cool. If you are using wet glue, you may need to hold it for a few minutes or set something on top to hold it until the glue sets up.
Add a Purse Strap
With chalk and a ruler measure and mark the straps on a piece of felt. You will need a total of 3 pieces. Cut 2 pieces 2 5/8” x 3/8” and one piece 8 1/4” x 3/8”.
4. Line up one of the short pieces of felt with the bottom of the gum package and glue in place. The felt is longer than the side of the package and will hang over at the top. Repeat with the other side. Once it is dry, place a large jump-ring on the end of the felt that is hanging free. Repeat with the other side.
5. Put a small dab of glue on each side below each jump-ring.
6. Fold the free end of the felt down on each side, holding it in place with the glue. Allow it to dry.
7. Lay out the package and the long strap.
8. Each end of the strap is going to thread through a jump-ring moving from the outside towards the inside.
9. Place a dab of glue on the inside of the long strap and secure the end in it.
Now for the fun part, decorating! To decorate the purse in fringe, cut several strips of felt about 5/8” wide. Make little cuts in the strip about 1/8” wide all along the length of the strip.
10. Place a line of glue along the bottom of the front of the purse.
11. Lay a strip of fringe in the glue. Place a second line of glue above the fringe. Lay the second fringe above the first. Glue on an acrylic jewel.
12. To cover the flap in fringe start with a small piece that is the length of the bottom of the flap.
13. Add a second piece that is longer.
14. After the flap is covered in fringe add an acrylic jewel.
15. Trim off the extra fringe that is hanging over the sides.
Or maybe you want to try your hand at circle flowers!
16. With chalk, draw circles on a piece of felt. Draw a scalloped border.
17. Cut out the pieces.
18. Glue them in layers of 2 on the front. Embellish each flower with a jewel.
19. On the back flap add the scallop border at the top. Add a few more circles and jewels on the point of the flap.
Here is a view of the front of each purse and back of each purse all finished!
Morgan says it’s time to do a little shopping!
But wait! Which purse should she use? Ooh, it’s a hard choice they are both so cute!
Who knew a gum package could make such a perfect little doll purse!
Just in case you are interested, here are a few more details from today’s post!
- Doll: Morgan is a My American Girl #25.
- Outfit: Designed and sewn for dolls by Anna.
- Headband tutorial.
- Scene: Gumball machine information.
Enjoy creating, enjoy playing, enjoy life!