I am just crazy about mosaics of all kinds! I made my first magazine mosaic when I was about 12. Magazine mosaics are a fun, easy way to create a classy piece of art for basically nothing! Use recycled magazines for all that bold color and texture!
These doll sized mosaics will brighten any little spot!
It is fun to add a little touch here and there to doll scenes for play or display!
Let’s take a look at what we’ll need.
- old magazines for cutting up
- picture frame (optional)
Decided what size you want to make your magazine mosaic. I am making mine to fit in the frames we decorated a couple weeks ago. They are 2 1/2” x 3 1/2”. To make it easy I just traced the picture that came with the frame. For art in a frame you can use a regular piece of paper. For art without a frame I would use something a little sturdier like card stock or cardboard and cut it in the size and shape you want the art.
Mosaic time! This is really exciting!
Take an old magazine and cut out pieces that are the colors you want to use in your mosaic. Group them by colors like, greens, yellows, pinks, and blues. I tried to keep my pieces about 1/2” wide. I’ve written out all of the colors and sizes used in the flower and heart mosaic if you want to recreate them. Feel free to switch up the colors and designs if you feel the urge!
- Yellow background pieces are randomly cut around 1/2” wide. I used colors that were pretty close in color. I used about 25 pieces to make the backgound.
- Blue flower pieces are strips between 1/4” and a 1/2” wide and 2” long. I used 12 strips to make the flower.
- Pink pieces for flower centers are randomly cut around 1/2” wide. I used 3 pieces for the center of the flower.
- Green background pieces are randomly cut around 1/2” wide. I used greens with different patterns and shades. I used about 25 pieces to cover the background.
- Pink pieces for the heart were randomly cut from 1/4” to 1/2” wide. I cut up words from the magazine for the heart. I love the texture it adds! I used 15-20 pieces to fill in the heart.
Let the mosaics begin! We are actually making a mosaic, yipee!
Once all the pieces are cut, cover the base paper in sections with glue and pieces of paper. When it is completely covered let it dry. After is dries turn it over and trim off any pieces of mosaic that hang over the edges of the base paper.
Flower power mosaic!
Hey let’s keep it simple! That’s why I used strips of paper to lay out a flower! Any size of paper can be combined to make your mosaic and these larger strips for petals makes this picture come together quickly! Glue blue strip around in a circle, each end meeting in the middle. Add 3 pink piece in the middle for the flower center.
Close to my heart mosaic!
As for the heart mosaic draw a heart on the background and fill it in with pink pieces of paper. Layer it up until the heart is filled in how you like it! You can do this technique with any shape or design you like!
After it is all dry, these mosaic masterpieces are ready to display!
Whether you frame them or display them as they are, they bring a fun touch to doll display or play!
Has my love of mosaics rubbed off on you? 🙂 Give this simple mosaic project a try and you will be surprised how easy it is to create a vibrant piece of art for your doll space!
Just in case you are interested, here are a few more details from today’s post!
- Doll: Julie is an American Girl Historical Character.
- Outfit: Dress is designed and sewn for dolls by Anna. Boot tutorial is here. Necklace tutorial is here.
- Scene: Chandelier tutorial is here. Frame tutorial is here. Furniture is thrifted and refinished by Anna.
Be your doll’s artist! Create something bold, something fun, something serene, something beautiful, and something mini!