I have always loved interesting picture frames. They are such a fun way to display what I love even more, pictures! So today, I’m going to share 3 ways to add a little fun to a plain picture frame!
Don’t forget the real fun about these frames is displaying something special to you! Are you trying your hand at photography with your dolls? Print off a masterpiece and enjoy it in your doll space! What about a snap shot of you and your doll? It’s a way of saving a fun memory! Or maybe you want to get creative and make your own at doll sized artwork! Of course, whatever you decide, we are going to dress it up with a fun frame!
Let’s take a look at what we’ll need.
- glue (Mod Podge, craft glue or hot glue)
- picture frame
- foam paintbrush
- pom poms
- paper (I used a cupcake liner but any patterned paper will work!)
Don’t forget to get creative! If you don’t have a mini frame that’s ready for a fixer-upper, then use a piece of cardboard cut like a frame. As for the embellishments, I tried to use a variety of textures and types. Maybe you want to try one of my ideas, maybe you have something else that would be fabulously fun on a frame! So let’s get creating!
For the examples today I am using 2.5in x 3.5in frames. Use an old frame or get one cheap at the dollar store!
To get started, take the frame apart and set the glass and backing in a safe spot. The edges of the glass are sharp so take care while handling and get help from an adult.
1. Pom Pom’s
Spread the glue in a thick layer on the frame. Place pom pom’s in the glue and allow it to dry. I found that in the spots where the glue was thick the pom pom’s stuck well, where I spread it too thin they popped off easily. I easily fixed the non-stickers by adding thick glue and the loose pom pom, then letting it dry.
This frame is covered with texture that says fun, fun, fun!
- Cut a piece of paper large enough to cover the front of the frame and wrap around the sides.
- Spread the glue on the frame. Place the paper on the frame. Glue the edges and wrap the paper around to cover the sides and edges.
- Cut an “X” from corner to corner in the paper on the front of the frame.
- Fold the paper toward the inside and trim off the extra paper.
- Put glue on the inside of the frame and press the paper into the glue.
So easy and so fun!
These are small frames, so what if you don’t have super small flowers? No worries! I have a trick for some perfect blooms on this frame! To get started take the flowers off of the stem and separate the different parts. Spread glue on the frame and place the flowers in it. If the flowers are too big for the frame, like mine, then fold the flower in half and place half of the flower on the frame. Mine are about 2“ across. After it dries, put a little glue between the folded petals and hold them down for a minute. Set it aside to dry completely.
This frame is bursting with bloom!
With a little glue and a little texture or design we have definitely freshened up these frames with fun!
Now onto the exciting part of what to put in these frames! Hmm…pictures, memories, or art?
Ooh, I can’t decided! I’ll have to get back to you on that!
Just in case you are interested, here are a few more details from today’s post!
- Doll: Kit is an American Girl Historical Character
- Outfit: Shirt is made by Anna. Skirt information is here. Shoes are Springfield Collection Ballet Slippers-Silver. Headband is made by Anna.
- Scene: Fireplace is made by Anna. Egg information is here. Vases and nest are a thrifty find. Banner information is here. Rug is patterned felt.
Fix it up and love it!