The campers at Camp Doll Diaries are spending their week on a Dude Ranch this week – sleeping under the stars, riding horses and having fun! Our friends at The Doll Mag blog are getting us started with a super cute craft that your doll’s pets will love!
We are Bella and Lulu, and we post at the Doll Mag, a blog and online magazine with crafts, recipes, and advice related to dolls. We were delighted that Char invited us to contribute another post to Camp Doll Diaries (we shared babysitting printables last year), but, we’ll admit, it took a bit of creativity to think of a good craft for Dude Ranch Week. Once we looked at our doll’s pets, Licorice, Coconut, and Meatloaf, however, we knew exactly what was needed: cowboy hats!
These felt creations are quick to whip up and are the perfect size for American Girl dogs and cats or other stuffed animals. We had our model, Nicki, a cowgirl at heart, pose with the pets during this photo shoot. Use our instructions below to create your own set!
- Hot glue gun (fabric or craft glue can be used as well)
- Circular object (to trace)
- Sharpie or pen
- Ribbon (Optional)
1. Trace a small bowl or cup onto felt (Ours had a diameter of 3 and 1/2 inches).
2. Cut out the circle. To add an extra bit of flair, try a design along the edge; triangles or scallops are easy and turn out cute.
3. Thread a needle with coordinating thread. Fold over part of your circle, and make a couple stitches so that when you release the fold, the felt curves up.
4. Repeat that step on the other side of the fold. Do this again on the other side of the circle.
5. Set that aside and a cut a rounded shape from matching felt, that measures about 2 inches wide and 1 and 1/2 inches tall.
6. Stitch around part of the rounded shape, keeping the bottom edge open (You can use a sewing machine or a needle for this).
7. Turn the rounded shape inside out and spread it out with your fingers. Press into the top so that it folds in. Using a hot glue gun or fabric glue, attach the piece of felt to the middle of your hat.
8. Cut two pieces of thread long enough to tie around your pet’s head. Hot glue one thread to each side of your hat.
Tie the hat onto your pet and making any adjustments needed. You can also add embellishments like a ribbon band or felt shapes for even more fun!