Anna here! Do you play a musical instrument? Do you sing? This doll sized music stand can hold your dolls music for any performance!
Before we get to all the details and the how-to’s, I have a little story from camp.
There is a talent show at the amphitheater this morning. The campers are sitting on benches facing the camp stage. They are waiting for the next performer to come out.
Morgan pushes past the butterflies in her stomach, takes a deep breath and walks out on stage.
She sets her music on the stand. All week she has been bouncing back and forth about this moment, from excited to nervous. She has been playing just this year. She really loves the clarinet and wants to share it with her friends and fellow campers.
Holding the clarinet firmly, she looks out at the audience. She sees familiar smiling faces and it boosts her confidence.
“Before I play I want to tell you a little about my instrument, the clarinet. It is in the woodwind family of instruments along with flutes and saxophones. Here at the top of the instrument is the mouthpiece. It has a wooden reed that vibrates as I blow on the mouthpiece. The instrument is made of African Blackwood all the way from Africa! The name Clarinet comes from a word that means “little trumpet”. I think that is so funny because it doesn’t sound at all like a trumpet to me! Listen while I play, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik written by Mozart and arranged for the clarinet.”
Morgan smiles at the audience and turns toward her music. She has a fleeting thought. “This isn’t so bad!” Her butterflies have been replaced with a bubbling excitement!
Now for all those detail of how to make your doll a music stand!
Let’s take a look at what we’ll need.
- glue- I recommend craft glue or hot glue
- paint brush
- black craft paint
- mini craft sticks or craft sticks cut to 2 1/2″
- small piece of cardboard
- regular size craft sticks
Using this strip of craft sticks we are going to add supports to make a base for the stand. We will use mini craft sticks or you can cut craft sticks to 2 1/2″.
Follow the photo below and start with 2 side supports.
Next add a support to the front.
The last is the back support. Be sure the stick in the middle is straight as you add each support so the base will stand steady.
Now for the tray on the music stand.
Lay out 2 craft sticks side by side. Take a third craft stick and stack it on top. Glue it in place.
Flip it over so the two craft sticks are on top.
Glue a craft stick along one side of the 2 sticks. It needs to stand perpendicular to them.
There is a side view to show the position of the last craft stick.
Now let’s keep adding to the tray so it can hold music. Turn the tray so the perpendicular piece is facing you. Use mini craft sticks or craft sticks cut to 2 1/2″. Follow the pictures below.
Glue a stick in the center.
Add 2 sticks, each at an angle coming out from the middle stick.
Add the last 2 sticks from the center stick to the bottom of the tray.
Let’s attach the music tray to the stand. We will attach it with cardboard at an angle to make our music stand realistic.
- Cut 2 pieces of cardboard the width of the craft sticks and about 1 3/4″ and 3/4″ long.
- Glue the longer one on the back of the music tray.
- Put a little glue on the underside of the tray.
- Glue the second cardboard strip(the shorter one) to the underside of the tray.
- Each strip is half attached. We are going to attach the other half to the stand. Starting with the strip of cardboard attached to the back of the music tray, glue it to the top of the stand.
- The attached cardboard is flexible. Decide the angle you want the music tray. Glue the second strip of cardboard, attached to the underside of the tray, to the stand. Take care that once this second cardboard is glued in place, the angle of the tray will be set.
Here is a side view of the angle of the music tray on the music stand.
Using craft paint, paint it black.
Resize some of your favorite music and your doll is ready for practice or a performance!
Just in case you are interested here are a few more details from today’s post!
- Doll- Moran is a My AG #25
- Outfit- Springfield Collection Party Outfit
- Scene- Music was resized from here. The clarinet is an ornament just like this one. Stage tutorial is here.
Craft for your dolls and don’t forget to have fun!