UPDATE 11/2/2012 with photo of the DOLL Saige American Girl of the Year 2013
Here is a photo of American Girl GOTY 2013 Saige that her whole meet outfit including her cute boots. These two photos are directly from an anonymous source who gave me permission to post the photos she took. All I know is that I LOVE the freckles! American Girl GOTY 2013 Saige is definitely cute and I think she will be very popular!
UPDATE 10/26 with illustration and movie news.
We got our first peek at what Saige the American Girl GOTY 2013 is going to look like (Thanks Lena). On the corner of an upcoming book, Express Yourself! Use art to explore the emotions in you, there is an illustration of Saige with dark brown long hair, a blue top and skirt, cowboy boots and a light gray horse.
Based on the tiny picture of Saige, I really like her and I love her outfit!!
And in her movie news:
- A few photos and updates from the filming of the Saige movie in Albuquerque. Jane Seymour and Amy Madigan are both confirmed cast members.
- From a New Mexico Film press release:The film is produced by Debra Martin Chase (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, The Princess Diaries) and directed by Vince Marcello (McKenna Shoots for the Stars). The AMERICAN GIRL: 2013 GIRL OF THE
YEAR movie is about a nine-year old creative, sensitive, and apprehensive girl who is devastated when her best friend comes back from summer camp with another best friend. She learns that the school has suspended all extracurricular activities. A big fundraiser is organized to bring back the activities to the school. Her misunderstandings with her peers, plus an accident that sidelines her beloved grandmother, stand in the way of
her goals. Fortunately, over the course of the story, she gains confidence in herself, embraces change, and learns how to express her true feelings – all attributes that lead her to resounding success and renewed friendships.
UPDATED 9/24 – Now with name and book summaries!
Back in April we figured out the first clue to the who the American Girl GOTY 2013 will be when we found out that the illustrator of her books will be Sarah Davis – the same illustrator who drew the gorgeous illustrations in the Kanani books. You can verify that by reading the post Sarah did about the process of drawing Kanani and her scenes.
Quite a few readers sent me notes with the links to the GOTY 2013 book summaries from the Library of Congress website. The books are already available for pre-order (click link).
- Meet Saige – American Girl of the Year 2013 – Book 1 by Jessie Haas and illustrator Sarah Davis - Upset that her New Mexico school can only afford music and art teachers in alternate years, fourth-grader Saige works with her grandmother, Mimi, to plan a fundraiser but when Mimi has an accident, Saige relies on new friend Gabi to help. (LOC link)And a more complete summary: Life is changing for our 2013 Girl of the Year. Her grandma is still recovering from the accident, and she misses the time they spent together. She takes comfort in riding Georgia, her grandma’s youngest horse. She knows her grandma needs cheering up, so our Girl of the Year comes up with a plan to restore their special art afternoons. Inspired by her grandma, she organizes a “Day of Beige” at her school to show how boring the world would be without creativity and color. Things are finally starting to get better, and then grandma tells her of plans to sell Georgia. Can our Girl of the Year find a way to keep the horse she loves – and help save the arts at her school?
- Saige Paints the Sky- American Girl of the Year 2013 – Book 2 by Jessie Haas and illustrator Sarah Davis - Painting in her grandmother’s studio and riding her favorite horse, Georgia, helps fourth-grader Saige cope with missing Mimi and sparks an idea for funding the school art program, but more creativity will be needed to keep Georgia from being sold. (LOC link)
And it looks like there is a movie in the works for 2013. According to a forum discussing the auditions they are looking for:
- Alberta – fair complexion
- Gayle – Latina
- Dina – All ethnicities
- Tasha – blond hair
We all know that these will NOT be the final character names. Supposedly the movie is being filmed in New Mexico as well. I will update when I get more “concrete” information.
Since this year’s GOTY was so heavily sports based, I am not surprised that the GOTY 2013 will be focused more on the arts. According to Jessie Haas’ website – “If you like horses or reading-or both!-you’ll be happy here. You’ll find horse books for all ages, historical and contemporary novels, poetry and history for adults.”
Let the guessing continue!