Here we have the Doll Diaries survey analysis team hard at work reading over every single answer that was sent in. As you can see Ellowyne is in charge and looking very serious and Hadley is up to her usual antics because that girl can not sit still! Chrissa is there representing the American Girls of today while Kirsten is making sure nothing about the historical characters gets missed. McKayla was invited to this session on behalf of all the other dolls as they are some of the most loyal friends a doll can have.
So, what did we learn?
- The Doll Diaries readership lives up to its name! We literally have a community of doll lovers of ALL age groups! I was impressed by the number of survey participants that are 12 and under and the ones that are over 46. And of course, there are readers of every age group in between. I encourage our readers to participate in the conversations and leave comments when you feel compelled. Be respectful and kind – and join in!
- The question “Do you feel that Doll Diaries is a safe and positive place for girls of all ages to share their interest in dolls?” was answered unanimously YES! You have no idea how good that makes me feel! I work very hard to ensure that inappropriate words and behavior do not make it into the comments. I read EVERY comment left on the site, too.
- The overwhelming majority of you collect 18″ play dolls like American Girl and similar brands. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see how many of you are interested in fashion dolls, pose-able dolls and smaller play dolls (like BFC, Hearts for Hearts, etc).
- Some of you think the site is easy to navigate and some of you don’t. Basically the posts on the home page are the most recent additions to the site. If you are looking to just browse a topic, click on the tabs at the top or the categories listed on the bottom of the sidebar. And, if you are looking for something very specific, the search bar is in the upper right corner above the My Doll’s Life ad. If you have other questions about how to find things on the site, just ask! And for those of you who left specific suggestions, they have been noted and may be incorporated in future design updates.
- There is quite a bit of interest in being able to buy Doll Diaries t-shirts for dolls or an exclusive Doll Diaries outfit. While this is not an option right now, it may be available in limited quantities in the future. I do not want to get into the doll clothing business, but think it would be fun to have limited edition Doll Diaries pieces available from time to time.
Answers to some common questions:
- Why do I have to leave my email address to comment? First of all, we do not share your email address with anyone without your consent. Second, that email address is what makes you, YOU. We could have 10 girls named SuzieQ leaving comments and the system would not know who was who without an email address. The little graphic (called a gravatar) that shows up next to your name is unique to your name and email combination. So if you decide to post from a different email address, then your little icon will change and your comment will go into moderation. It doesn’t do you any good to create a persona for each of your dolls or pretend friends and have a conversation with yourself. My software figures that out, plus its just weird.
- Do I have you use my real name? Absolutely not!! As a matter of fact, using your first name only or a nickname is best – especially if you are under 13. You don’t need to give out any personal information.
- Why do readers who are 13 and under have to ask permission from a parent to comment or get a parent to enter giveaways for them? That is a standard internet rule, not mine. It is however, for your own protection, and some higher governmental authority has decided that 13 is the magic number. Really, if you are under 18 and online, your parents should know what sites you are interacting with and why. It’s just common sense (this is coming from a Mom of three, remember). My kids will tell you that the more they let me know what they do online and are open about it, the more of my trust they gain.
- How about a Doll Diaries forum where we can have our own profiles? Some of you may remember there was a Doll Diaries forum very briefly a few years ago. I quickly found out that it was too much work to moderate the forum and keep putting up quality posts on the site. There are other doll forums out there already and I don’t think it would really benefit any of us for me to add one more to the mix.
I do want to thank each of you from the bottom of my heart for all the amazing comments, suggestions and input you gave in the survey! Of course there was a lot more information in the responses than I just shared, but I don’t want to bore you all! Look for some of the suggestions to start appearing in coming weeks and thanks again – you are the best!